Friday, August 22, 2014

An Open Letter to the Class of 2018


A few weeks ago, I had lunch with a college freshman attending my alma mater. The meeting made me think, “What would I tell those gearing up to start the journey I just finished?” It doesn’t take much scouring of the Internet to find tips for incoming college freshmen, so I decided to pen a letter in lieu of a Buzzfeed-esque list. In the midst of move-in day and starting classes, I hope my guidance helps you get your bearings.

College Freshmen of the World,

We pass the torch to you. We leave our alma maters to your capable minds and zealous hearts. Our “masterpiece” is your doodle pad. You must have seen something special in our school when you chose to apply and attend it. Preserve the strides of those who came before you but don’t let the accomplishments of your school's titans intimidate your own experiments and creations.

College is your oyster—craft your own undergraduate experience. Take interest-piquing classes, join organizations, learn a new language, use the services available to you, make friends in a variety of social settings, explore the town or city surrounding your school, or study in a country you’ve never been. Don't buy into the portrayals of college you've seen. Mean Girls and Ferris Bueller's Day Off didn't reflect your high school experience, and your college experience won't adhere to the movies you've seen or stories you've heard. Be the person you want to be.

Look beyond the classroom for learning experiences. You'll learn what you value in your living environment from your good and bad roommates; your conflicting social, school, and career interests will force you to evaluate your priorities; and new friendships will be nurtured while older ones may wither. I thought I knew who I was before I went off to college, but I now realize my sense of self was interrelated with the context of my childhood: the house I grew up in, my family and friends, etc. I developed a more nuclear understanding of myself during college. Your college years will be transformative ones as well.

The campus before you is the product of generations of students, faculty, administrators, and staff—never forget you’re both fulfilling a legacy and creating your own.

Paige Witthar
Class of 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment